Thursday, August 26, 2010

Speaking of Comfort...

Last time I wrote about God using me to comfort others during their time of suffering.  This time I am talking about God pushing me out of my "Comfort Zone"!  I hate to admit that I am pretty lazy.  A perfect day for me would be to sit on the couch, watch old movies and eat brownies all day long.  But, obviously, I can't do that every day and I know it (thankfully).  Having children, especially two at once, has made me a lot more active than I have been since college.  In January I started going to a weekly bible study called Bible Study Fellowship (BSF).  I mainly started going to get out of the house and do something that I could take the kids to and still get some time with other adult women.  I ended up loving it and really learning a lot through God's word so I decided to sign up for next year.  I was really excited about it because they were going to study Isaiah for the first time.  Well, a few months ago I got a call from my BSF Teaching Leader.  I thought she was going to say that they had too many people wanting to be a part of this study and since I missed a few times last year they were asking me to give up my spot.  But instead she said that someone had recommended me as a Group Leader!  I was shocked!  I mean, I started halfway through the year and I had to miss a few weeks because the girls were sick and... me?  Really?  And that's what I said... "Really?".  So, I prayed about it like she asked and then met with her a few days later after Tripp and I decided that this was God pushing me out of my comfort zone and I should do it.  If you know me at all, I would assume that you know why this is out of my comfort zone, but I will share anyway just in case I hide my insecurities better than I think I do.  #1: I have been a Christian for almost 25 years and I still don't know half of what I should know about God's word.  #2: I am more of a follower than a leader.  I mean, I have moments where I think I can do better that whoever is in charge, but when it comes down to proving it I end up making a fool of myself.  #3: Did I mention that I'm lazy?  #4: I struggle big time with a fear of rejection... and I have to call people!  Because of this fear, I hate calling people!  If you are a friend of mine and always wondered why I never call you... there you go.  This is one of the reasons I didn't do well at music business.  I HATE calling people.  You would think that the easiest way to handle rejection would be over the phone, but, not for me.  So, now the time has come to get serious about this.  Today, in the mail, I received my instructions for the upcoming year of BSF.  The first thing on my to do list is... drum roll.... to call everyone in my group.  Yikes!  Thankfully, my friend Wendy is in my group, so I was able to ease myself in by calling her first.  For a split second I thought, "I could wait until tomorrow to do this".  But, I bit the bullet and I did it!  God gave me the courage to do what I needed to do and I called them all.  It wasn't bad, either.  They were all pleasant and happy to hear from me.  I might as well get over this fear/hatred because I have to call them every week!  So, my first hurdle has been jumped.  Whew!  I know that this is what God has called me to do and I just have to believe that He will work out all of the details.  I  already feel a little encouraged with the accomplishment of this first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment